Corpus Christi Maritime Injury Attorneys
Injured in a Maritime Accident? Call Our Team.
If you are a maritime worker who was injured in an accident, have sustained career-ending injuries in an offshore accident, or are dealing with any type of claim that falls under admiralty or maritime law, The Edwards Law Firm can offer the counsel you need. We have been representing injured offshore workers and seamen since 1962 and understand the intricacies of the Jones Act and all applicable U.S. maritime laws.
Committed to the honest, ethical advocacy of maritime workers and their families, The Edwards Law Firm is here for you in your time of need. Attorneys William R. Edwards and Billy Edwards are Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and Billy Edwards is also Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law. Award-winning and recognized by numerous respected institutions for their professionalism and results, our attorneys have the qualifications to help.
Types of Maritime Accidents & Injuries
Maritime work is inherently dangerous, dealing with heavy machinery, unruly seas, harsh weather, and hazardous working conditions that can place even the most experienced or careful worker at risk of injury. When workers are injured, they need a firm to turn to for skilled legal representation, and that is what we provide at The Edwards Law Firm. Our attorneys can help you pursue compensation for medical care, lost wages, and other immediate and long-term losses after a serious accident or the loss of a loved one.
We take on maritime accident and injury cases involving:
- Seamen injury claims under the Jones Act
- Accidents on deck
- Barge accidents
- Tugboat accidents
- Jack-up rig accidents and injuries
- Longshore worker injuries
- Cruise ship accidents
- Offshore oil rig accidents and injuries
- Commercial fishing accidents
- Shipyard, dock, and pier accidents
- Recreational boating accidents and injuries
- Fatal maritime accidents
Hazards Faced by Maritime Workers
Maritime work is common in Texas as well as a common source of work injuries and workers’ compensation claims. Those in these fields face a variety of hazards on a daily basis. Below, we discuss some of the most common hazards that make maritime work especially risky.
- Extreme Work Conditions: The temperamental sea comes with storms and, often, maritime workers are put in high-risk conditions and cramped, tight quarters.
- Explosions: Poorly maintained or improperly used equipment can lead to explosions, especially when working with oil or hazardous material.
- Drownings: All maritime workers, being so close to the water, are at risk of falling overboard and potentially drowning.
- Falls: Falls from great heights are a hazard for maritime workers; wet and greasy floors or decks can also lead to slip and falls.
- Suffocation/Toxicity: Working in tight, cramped spaces can lead to potential gas poisoning as well as asbestosis and mesothelioma.
- Electrocutions: Exposed wires and wet conditions can lead to electrocutions of workers; fires can also start due to improper use of electrical equipment.
- Blunt Trauma: Moving operations, operating heavy equipment, or lifting hefty loads can cause objects to strike or crush workers.
- Erratic Time Schedules: Often, workers are on the job for long hours and may get inadequate sleep in between shifts, leading to a higher chance of mistakes.
Navigating Complex Admiralty & Maritime Laws
As an injured maritime worker, you may have questions about how to pursue compensation or what benefits you may be entitled to receive. Our Corpus Christi maritime accident lawyers at The Edwards Law Firm can address this important subject for you. The Jones Act, Death on the High Seas Act, or other applicable state or federal maritime laws may apply. A product liability lawsuit may be relevant if a defective product was the cause of an injury. We consider every potential source of compensation to maximize your recovery.
For more information and guidance regarding your maritime accident case, call (361) 541-6333.
Refinery - Fell into Tank $11,500,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Death | Net to Client: $6,842,546.09 | Attorney Fees: $3,500,000.00 | Expenses: $157,453.91
Premises Negligence $10,750,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Head Injury | Net to Client: $7,166,666.67 | Attorney Fees: $3,583,333.33 | Expenses: $0
18 Wheeler $9,660,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Death | Net to Client: $6,337,277.94 | Attorney Fees: $3,197,915.63 | Expenses: $124,806.43
18 Wheeler $9,000,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Head Injury | Net to Client: $5,069,061.09 | Attorney Fees: $3,600,000.00 } Expenses: $330,938.91
Defective Truck $8,200,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Death | Net to Client: $6,308,812.01 | Attorney Fees: $1,840,544.68 | Expenses: $50,643.31
Premises Liability $7,810,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Rape | Net to Client: $5,156,632.89 | Attorney Fees: $2,602,943.48 | Expenses: $50,423.63
Seat-belt/Rollover $7,535,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Brain Injury | Net to Client: $4,037,523.89 | Attorney Fees: $3,014,000.00 | Expenses: $483,476.11
18 Wheeler $7,000,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Death/Serious Injury | Net to Client: $4,094,098.23 | Attorney Fees: $2,800,000.00 | Expenses: $105,901.77
Seatback Failure $6,625,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Head Injury | Net to Client: $3,414,561.37 | Attorney Fees: $2,650,000.00 | Expenses: $560,438.63
Oilfield Accident $5,842,228.75 Total Recovery
Injury: Death | Net to Client: $3,441,771.42 | Attorney Fees: $2,314,953.94 | Expenses: $85,703.38
Tire Defect/Seatbelt $5,820,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Death/Head/Ortho | Net to Client: $2,917,287.51 | Attorney Fees: $2,328,000.00 | Expenses: $574,712.49
Products/Medical Malpractice $5,629,000 Total Recovery
Injury: Paraplegic | Net to Client: $2,987,859.17 | Attorney Fees: $2,251,600.00 | Expenses: $389,540.83
For our firm, it is not about the money - we take profound joy in helping our clients get the recoveries they deserve.
William R. Edwards & William R. Edwards III are Board Certified® by The Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Advocates for Ethics
We are leaders in advocating for ethical conduct by attorneys practicing in the field of personal injury.
Strong Case Results
We are not afraid to go to trial & have recovered millions of dollars in recoveries for our clients.
We are committed to affecting real change both within our community and across the nation.
The Edwards Law Firm has been in practice and taking personal injury cases since 1962.
We are very grateful for their help in handling this situation.- Claudia B.
I really felt they were taking care of me on a personal level.- Allison H.
They pride themselves on excellent results for their personal injury clients.- Jeff G.
They were courteous and resolved the case quickly.- Vicki C.
Professional. Honest. Compassionate.- Tina J.